Applying to CIT

Understanding your Letter of Offer

When you receive your Letter of Offer for a program that you applied for, it is very important to read and understand your letter of offer before you accept it.

On the letter of offer, you will be able to obtain the following information;

  • Program details that you applied for,
  • The default date for your program
  • Student visa conditions,
  • Payment of tuition fee,
  • Overseas Student Health Cover,
  • Refund of tuition fee and
  • Cancellation or withdrawal from your program
  • CIT's Terms and Conditions of acceptance into your chosen program

If you are applying to change to another program within CIT, you will need to complete a change of course form in order to receive a new Letter of Offer. When you do receive the new Letter of Offer, you are then required to sign, date and return it along with any conditional supporting documentation to the International Services Unit for further processing.

Please ensure that you have read and understand your Letter of Offer before accepting it. See Letter of Offer for more information.

Your Confirmation of Enrolment

When you have completed the steps and met the conditions outlined in your Letter of Offer (LOO) you will be requested to make payment. CIT will then send you a copy of the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment form (eCOE) on receipt of payment. See electronic Confirmation of Enrolment for more information.

Can I apply for a joint offer?

CIT and the University of Canberra (UC), offer a number study pathways. Once you have chosen the CIT mainstream program you would like to study, the UC Articulation database will provide a list of choices available for you to continue studies in a Bachelor degree. Direct study pathways can offer from one year to eighteen months reduction in a Bachelor Degree. If you choose to apply for a joint offer, please submit both the CIT and UC application form and the CIT GTE and UC GTE form to

Please refer to the following information regarding this full process cycle:

  • When you are applying for a joint offer, your application must be submitted by an Educational Agent who has been approved by both UC and CIT. For a list of current Educational agents, refer to the CIT and UC websites.
  • Your agent will submit the CIT and UC application form and the CIT GTE and UC GTE form to
  • CIT will assess your application and may issue a letter of offer by email to your agent. This may be conditional. For information regarding entry requirements and documents you are required to provide when submitting your application, please refer to the CIT Application form and Declaration and CIT course entry requirements.
  • The CIT letter of offer is emailed to UC with the UC application form and the UC GTE form
  • UC will assess your application and may issue a letter of offer directly to your agent
  • To accept the CIT offer, you need to read, sign and date the letter of acceptance and visa form, your agent will submit this along with any conditional documents for further assessment to
  • If all conditions have been met, CIT bank details will be issued for payment to be made.
  • Once you have completed the CIT payment (refer to payment details in your offer), CIT will issue relevant CIT Confirmation of enrolment’s (COE’s).
  • To accept your UC letter of offer, you need to read, sign and date the UC letter of offer, your agent will submit this along with any conditional documents and $5000.00 non-refundable payment to
  • Once you have completed the UC payment, UC will issue the relevant UC Confirmation of enrolment’s (COE’s).

Who can help me apply to study at CIT?

There are 2 ways you can apply to study at the Canberra Institute of Technology.

1. Apply through a CIT In Country Representative (Educational Agent)

They will be able to help you with any questions you might have about CIT, how to apply, IELTS, TOEFL or Pearsons testing, obtaining a student visa and traveling to Australia.

2. Apply directly

You can apply directly to the CIT by using the Apply Online option or filling in an Application Form and submitting it either by email, in person, mail or fax. At any time during applying you can contact the International Services Unit and they will be able to assist you with any questions you may have.

Can I get credit for my course at university?

Certain CIT Diploma's and Advanced Diploma programs have formal credit transfer arrangements or "pathways" with a variety of Australian universities, meaning that students can receive recognition or 'credit' for studies completed at CIT and put this towards a degree at university.

Many of the courses available to international students at CIT have organised pathways with reputable Australian universities. See Study Pathways for more information or to search for a CIT course with pathways to further study.

If CIT does not have a formal pathway arrangement with the University you wish to attend you should contact the University to see if credit transfer will be considered for your CIT program.

Where can I do my IELTS, TOEFL or Pearson's exam?

CIT is a registered testing centre for both Pearson's PTE Academic English tests and IELTS tests.

You can register for the test through Pearson's website (, selecting CIT's test centre as below:

Canberra Institute of Technology
Library, Block E Ground Floor
37 Constitution Avenue, Reid
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, 2601

Please visit the IELTS website to register for the tes:

Canberra Institute of Technology
37 Constitution Ave, Reid ACT 2612

Unfortunately CIT does not hold TOEFL tests. Information on where your closest testing centres are can be found on the TOEFL website (

Can I get on-campus accommodation?

CIT is the first Australian TAFE to have on-campus accommodation for its students. Living in a student residence environment gives you the opportunity to live with others from different backgrounds and cultures. It is also a good way to practice your English and use it on a regular basis.

There are many options to choose from when deciding on accommodation.

Do I need overseas student health cover?

It is a requirement of the Australian Government and a condition of your Student Visa that you must have Overseas Student Health Cover for the full duration of your visa. Overseas Student Health Cover will help you pay for medical or hospital care that you may need while you are in Australia. It also contributes towards the payment of prescriptions and emergency ambulance. You can find out more about Overseas Student Health Cover from Allianz Care Australia.

Allianz Care Australia is CIT preferred OSHC provider.

When is the deadline to apply to study at CIT?

There is no deadline for International students to apply to the Canberra Institute of Technology. However, you need to be aware that obtaining a student visa can take some time depending on what country you are applying from. Intake dates for formal courses are in February and July and English start dates are offered every five weeks. Search for your preferred CIT course online to find out when it starts and make sure you allow sufficient time tot prepare for and obtain your visa. It is advised that you contact the Embassy you are applying through to ask what their processing times currently are.

What happens if I miss the intake date?

We understand that sometimes you may be delayed by visa processing. If you are not able to arrive by the "Agreed Start Date", the latest date you will be accepted into classes is the "Default Date". Both of these dates are advised on your letter of offer. If you are not able to arrive by the default daye due to visa delays, you can defer your studies to the next available intake date by contacting the International Services Unit (ISU) Admissions staff at You must submit a new application form for the new start date and the ISU will then issue you with a new Letter of Offer.

What documents do I need to submit with my application if I would like to transfer from my current Education Provider to CIT?

You will need to submit the following supporting documents with your application:

  • Copy of your current passport personal details page and current visa
  • Copy of all your eCOE(s) for the full duration of your current and previous visas (if applicable)
  • Academic transcript/s and completion certificates (if applicable) for current studies
  • A statement of purpose supporting your study plan change to your new choice of study. This should include your academic plans or interests in your chosen area of study, your future career goals. Your statement should address why CIT is a good choice for you.
  • Copy of your OSHC card or policy. Please note you must have OSHC for the full duration of your proposed visa.
  • A Letter of Release or further documents may be required.

Each student's case will be assessed on an individual basis and you will be advised of the outcome by the ISU Admission team.

Registered providers assess requests from students for a transfer between registered providers prior to the student completing six months of the principal course of study in accordance with their documented procedures. Therefore, you could be asked to provide a Letter of Release from your current Educational Provider.

You may also need to submit additional documents such as:

Each students' case will be assessed on an individual basis and you will be advised of the outcome by the ISU Admissions team.

Can I get Credit Transfer for my previous studies?

Yes, you can. Credit Transfer or Skills Recognition is an acknowledgement of the skills you have learned from your work, from life experience, or from any previous training. Undertaking Skills Recognition means you can gain either a part or full qualification without having to re-learn things you already know. For more information on this subject and how to apply please see Skills Recognition.

Am I allowed to sign the Application Form or Letter of Offer on the applicant's or student's behalf?

No. By signing the application and/or letter of acceptance personally the applicant or student is acknowledging that they understand and agree to what has been written. If the applicant or student is under 18 years of age, the parents or legal guardian may sign on their behalf. With exception to this circumstance, signing on an applicant or students behalf will be treated as fraudulent which may result in your application being rejected or letter of offer being withdrawn. It is important that the applicant or student clearly understands what they are signing or seek advice to receive further clarification before signing.

The Letter of Offer which ISU sends to the applicant/student or agent must only be signed by the applicant/student, as the Letter of Offer is considered a contractual agreement which is a legal document.

Does the International Services Unit offer part time English courses as well?

Yes. The International Services Unit also offers day time and evening part time English courses to non-permanent residents. Please visit the English courses listed on our website, or call the International Services Unit for more information. International students studying on a student visa are not eligible to study in these programs.

Does CIT offer scholarships for International students?

CIT scholarships are not available for International Students. However, the Australian Government offers scholarship for International Students.

See Scholarships for more information.