Australian Student Visa

If you are an international student planning to study or currently study at CIT then the following important information can help you to understand and comply with your Student Visa conditions.

How to apply for a student visa

International students need to apply for a student visa to study in Australia. The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for making decisions on student visa applications and administering the Student Visa Program, Student Visa (Subclass 500).

Student visas are issued to non-Australian residents who are enrolled in a full-time, CRICOS registered course within Australia.

To obtain a visa you will need to:

For full details on how to apply for an Australian student visa, visit

About your Application

It is important that you read and understand your requirements before you apply to study or obtain a student visa.

Please see About your Application for details on the following topics:

  • Student Visa processing times
  • Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF)
  • Entry to CIT on a Student Visa
  • Tuition Fees
  • Overseas Health Cover
  • Undertake paid work on a restricted basis only

Entry Requirements

To be accepted to study at CIT, you must meet certain entry requirements.

Please see Entry Requirements for details on the following topics:

  • Academic Entry Definitions
  • Adult Entry
  • ACT Year 12 Secondary Certificate Country Equivalents
  • CIT English Tests
  • English Language Requirements
  • English Language Tests Equivalence Table
  • Genuine Temporary Entry (GTE)
  • Statement of Purpose

Useful information

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000

The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000, or ESOS Act, establishes legislative requirements and standards for the quality assurance of education and training institutions offering courses to international students who are in Australia on a student visa.  ESOS also provides tuition fee protection for international students.

For more information on the ESOS legislative framework visit

The National Code of Practice

The 'National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018', is a set of nationally consistent standards that governs the protection of international students and delivery of courses to those students by providers registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Only CRICOS courses can be offered to international students studying in Australia on a student visa.
For more information on the National Code of Practice visit

Student visa English language requirements

If you are required to provide the results of an English Language test in order to be eligible for an Australian student visa. More information on student visa English Language requirements can be found at

Click here for further information on English Language Courses provided by CIT.

Understanding your visa conditions

Your visa is subject to a number of visa conditions that you must comply with.  Different visa conditions apply to you and members of your family unit.

Breaching a visa condition may result in the cancellation of your visa.

The Department of Home Affairs website provides information about the visa conditions that may apply to you and your dependent family members.

Change of visa status

International students are required to inform CIT of any changes to their visa status. International students who commenced their course on a Student Visa must notify CIT immediately when they are granted a different visa.

Temporary residency

If you are granted a temporary visa (other than a Student Visa) after commencement of your course, you should forward a copy of your passport and visa to the International Services Unit.

Although temporary residency does not change your student status, your study entitlements may change.

Permanent residency

International students who are granted permanent residency must notify the International Services Unit.

CIT policies and procedures

It is important that students have a basic understanding of CIT policies and procedures. Visit Policies and Forms for further information.

Advice about your current Australian Student Visa

If you require further information about the conditions of your student visa or you are having difficulty meeting these conditions, make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor on your campus.

Contact the International Services Unit to arrange an appointment.

You can also contact the Department of Home Affairs directly at