Homestay is a great way to experience your first visit to the National Capital. Living with a local Canberran family can enrich your new life in Australia, providing you with a welcoming and stable environment where you can concentrate on your studies and make the most of your time here.
- Live as a guest in the home of a local individual or family while you’re studying in Australia.
- The Australian Homestay Network’s (AHN) Homestay experience is a standards-based homestay program.
- A great way to discover the culture and customs of Canberra and even make lifelong friends with your host family.
- Homestay residences are self-catered and provide comfortable, fully furnished, single bedroom accommodation that includes: phone line, heating, shared kitchen, bathroom, laundry, living rooms, television and car parking.
- A clean, furnished room that includes a bed, desk, wardrobe, chair and a study lamp.
- Meals are included (if specified) along with household utilities (electricity, gas, etc.).
- A supportive family environment and home to live in.
- AHN 24/7 professional phone support.
- AHN contents insurance for students and hosts as per AHN Insurance Policy.
Why is Homestay a great option?
AHN hosts are trained to ensure international students have a safe and enjoyable stay in Canberra. They can assist you with:
- settling into their new community
- understanding the basics of Australian culture and personal safety
- gaining everyday conversational skills
- learning the community basics such as buying transport tickets
- organising banking, internet, mobile phones, etc.
- learning frequently used English and ‘Aussie’ words and phrases.
For further information visit www.homestaynetwork.org
- Room type: Private single room
- Weekly rate:
- Including all meals - starts at AUD $295*
- No meals - starts at AUD $210*
- Placement fee and airport pick up fee: Approx. AUD $410*
For further information on pricing visit www.homestaynetwork.org/canberra-pricing
The Southern Cross Education Institute (SCEI) in association with AHN offer HomeShare; an extension of the AHN Homestay product and ideal for the more independent student wanting to live in an Australian home as a ‘Home Share’ guest.
Find out more at www.homestaynetwork.org/scei-homeshare
Homestay for Agents
CIT Educational Agents can partner with AHN to ensure the best welcoming experience possible for their international students.
For more information visit www.homestaynetwork.org/agents
Become a Host
Do you have a spare room? Do you live near public transport? Would you be a good mentor for a new visitor to Australia?
If you answered “YES” to any of the above questions then you may qualify to join the Australian Homestay Network.
To find out how to become a host visit www.homestaynetwork.org/hosting
How to Apply
You can apply for Homestay online through the AHN website at www.homestaynetwork.org/students/apply