International Student Orientation
Orientation is designed to welcome new students and to make sure you receive the guidance, encouragement and support you need to settle into Canberra and your studies at CIT.
This compulsory* one-day orientation is offered in February and July each year for international students who are about to start their mainstream program.
What does the day include?
- Walk around the market stalls and talk to CIT services and Canberra community organisations. Ask questions and collect information, handouts and free stuff!
- Meet CIT staff and other students in your course.
- Find out how you can enrol.
Indigenous dance performance
CIT welcomes you to Australia with a performance by a local Indigenous family dancing group. ‘The Wiradjuri Echoes’ group will entertain you with traditional Aboriginal dances and the amazing didgeridoo instrument.
The Reptile Man and his staff bring along Australian reptiles such as tortoises, lizards, snakes and goannas. Go and say “Hi” to them and learn about our wonderful, varied wildlife here in Australia.
Free ‘Aussie’ style lunch and refreshments will be provided throughout orientation day.
Canberra bus tour (optional)
Familiarise yourself with Canberra on this 2 hour bus tour of popular sights and attractions. See below for details.
Guest speakers will provide important and useful information that will help you adjust to study in Australia. You will learn about what student support services are available at CIT and in the Canberra community. Guest speakers include:
- CIT Chief Executive Officer
- CIT Counselling and Equity
- CIT Learning Centre – Library Support & Drop-in Learning
- CIT Student Association (CITSA) - www.citsa.com.au
- CIT Yurauna Centre - cit.edu.au/study/cit_yurauna
- CIT Finance Services
- CIT Accommodation Services
- Centre Pastoral Care Officers
- ACT and Commonwealth Ombudsman Service - www.ombudsman.act.gov.au
- Fair Work Ombudsman - www.fairwork.gov.au
- Department of Immigration and Border Protection - www.border.gov.au
- Council for International Students Australia – www.cisa.edu.au
- ACT Tourism - www.visitcanberra.com.au
- Action Buses - www.transport.act.gov.au
- Australian Federal Police (AFP) - www.afp.gov.au
- Emergency Services: ACT Fire Brigade, Rural Fire Service and State Emergency Services - www.esa.act.gov.au
- Greyhound Bus Service - www.greyhound.com.au
- Directions ACT - Outreach & Health Promotions - www.directionsact.com/programs
- Overseas Health Cover (OSHC Allianz)
- Youth Law Centre - www.youthlawact.org.au
- Australian Banks
- Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (Biosecurity) - www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity
Canberra bus tour
See some of Canberra's popular sights and attractions. This 2 hour bus tour, run by the CIT International Services Unit (ISU) is a great introduction to Canberra.
Familiarise yourself with Canberra - visit many useful places and make friends with other CIT international students!
Speak to an ISU staff member at orientation to sign up!
Bus tour destinations include:
- CIT Reid Campus
- CIT Bruce Campus
- Parliament House
- War Memorial
- Mount Ainslie Lookout
- Civic (Canberra City) Shopping Centre
- Civic Bus Interchange
- Civic Police Station
- Belconnen Shopping Centre
Need more information about the CIT International Orientation Day?
Contact the CIT International Services Unit.
*If you are enrolling to study a preparatory English program then you do not need to attend the orientation day in February or July until you are due to commence in your mainstream program. When you commence your English program you are provided with a small orientation and information pack relevant to your studies. This is provided by the International Services Unit and English Centre staff on the first day of your studies.