Early Childhood Education and Care
Working with children is an incredibly rewarding career path, and many job opportunities exist in this high-demand profession.
Learn about children through observation, discussion and practical experience. Nurture your understanding of child development and behaviour, and build your skills and abilities in educating and caring for children.
252 hours of unpaid industry experience in Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care 280 hours of unpaid industry experience in Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care.
Industry experience is fully coordinated by CIT. You will have the skills and confidence to be ready for employment. The professional work placements take place at different early childhood education and care services and often leads to casual or part-time employment opportunities.
You must also have a 'Working with Vulnerable People Check' before undertaking any professional placement with children. Information will be provided on enrolment.
Why study at CIT?
- Modern on-campus childcare facility.
- Learn from passionate and experienced early childhood educators.
- Pathways into education and teaching degrees at university.
- Gain professional experience in the field by completing hands-on unpaid industry placement arranged by CIT.
- Use CIT's industry network to connect you with employment opportunities.
Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care | CHC30121
Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care | CHC50121
TOTAL CIT PACKAGE:
Certificate III: 1 year
Diploma: 1 year
2023 Semester 1 (February) and Semester 2 (July)
2023: $7,450 per semester
Total 1 year program if commenced in 2023: $14,900
Certificate III: Material fees: $181.50, Uniform costs: $41.50.
*Please note - Course fees are listed in $AUD and are based on a semester rate. Total course cost will vary depending on semester start date. Small fee increases may happen annually in line with CIT's fee pricing review. 2023 fees are subject to change.
- Year 12 Certificate (or equivalent)
Students over the age of 20 may be eligible for adult entry with relevant practical work or other professional experience. Please refer to Entry Requirements for more information.
- IELTS 6.0 (no band score less than 5.5)
- TOEFL iBT - 60
- PTE Academic - 50 (minimum of 36 in each band)
- Cambridge English test (C1 Advanced and B2 First) - 169
Course Subjects - Certificate III
Course Subjects - Diploma
Likely Job Outcome
Certificate III: Early childhood educator, outside school hours assistant, family daycare worker, preschool assistant.
Diploma: Early childhood worker, team leader, educational leader, director/manager, outside school hours coordinator.
Teaching Methods and Assessment
Delivery will be through an integrated on the job/off the job strategy which will be based on adult learning principles. Students study as members of a class group (on the job), reinforced learning through eLearn, as well as being placed in a registered Children’s Education and Care setting where students have the opportunity to apply and practice knowledge and skills. Students will be required to demonstrate competency in their learning off the job as well as on the job.
Methods of assessment include direct observation in the workplace and workplace simulation, a portfolio of notes and annotated evidence, reports, presentations and written or oral questioning.
Pathways to Further Study
CIT’s credit transfer arrangements can reduce the time and fees required to complete a bachelor degree at university. If you successfully complete your CIT qualification and gain entry into the university below, you will receive the following:
Australian Catholic University (ACU)
If you complete the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC50121) you can receive:
- 80 credit points (8 units) towards ACU’s Bachelor of Early Childhood Education (Birth to Five Years)
- 60 credit points (6 units) towards ACU’s Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary) *Without a religious strand
- 30 credit points (3 units) towards ACU’s Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary) *With a religious strand
- 10 credit points (1 unit) towards ACU’s Bachelor of Education (Primary)
University of Canberra (UC)
- If you complete the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC50121) you can receive 24 credit points (1 year) towards UC’s Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education (326JA.2)
Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (1 year)PLUSDiploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (1 year)= 2 years of study
▼Optional degree pathway available