The CIT Diploma of Graphic Design is well regarded by industry. This diploma provides a study pathway that supports the workforce development of Graphic Designer professionals for a career digital, technical and creative concepts to create designs that meet client requirements and solve a range of visual communication challenges.
This qualification covers the application of skills and knowledge required to interpret and design solutions for a range of designs and client briefs that include typography, illustration, photography and layouts.
Graphic designers communicate ideas and information in visually engaging ways to connect with their target audiences. As designers, you will be involved in developing effective visual communication and designs for various clients from a range of industries.
Practice at this level is underpinned by application of design theory and practice, and the ability to analyse and synthesise information from a range of sources to generate design solutions. Work with the latest Adobe software and Mac technology to develop complex design concepts and produce designs that meet clients’ needs for a range of visual communication outcomes.
The Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design provides a study pathway that supports the workforce development of Graphic Designer professionals for a career digital, technical and creative concepts to create designs that meet client requirements and solve a range of visual communication challenges.
This qualification will refine and extend your abilities at developing design concepts and also work on more complex design projects covering the continuing application of skills and knowledge required to interpret, design solutions for a range of designs and client briefs that include typography, illustration, photography and layouts.
Projects may include corporate branding, packaging design, publication design, web graphics, websites, 2D animations and a public exhibition of your work. Real industry experience (placements) is encouraged and supported with local industry.
Copied from CIT website
Diploma of Graphic Design | CUA50720
Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design | CUA60320
TOTAL CIT PACKAGE: 2 years
2023 Semester 1 (February)
2024 Semester 1 (February)
*Please note - Course fees are listed in $AUD and are based on a semester rate. Total course cost will vary depending on semester start date. Small tuition and material fee increases may occur annually in line with CIT's fee pricing review. Fees are subject to change.
- Year 12 Certificate or equivalent
- Interview (or other negotiated process)
- A portfolio of recent work or work that demonstrates your aptitude for design. Portfolios may contain examples of design solutions from a range of activities and media types and may include: drawing, photography, painting, printmaking or any graphic design projects you have undertaken
Students over the age of 20 may be eligible for adult entry. Please refer to Entry Requirements for more information.
Students must meet one of the following English requirements:
- IELTS 5.5 (no band score less than 5.0)
- TOEFL iBT - 46
- PTE Academic - 42 (minimum of 36 in each band)
- Cambridge English test (C1 Advanced and B2 First) - 162
Course Subjects - Diploma
Course Subjects - Advanced Diploma
Likely Job Outcome
Diploma: Professional graphic design practitioners
Advanced Diploma: This qualification will provide you with the skills and knowledge enabling employment opportunities as a Professional Graphic Design Practitioner. You may work in many different commercial and community contexts across both print and digital media.
Teaching Methods and Assessment
Teaching methods include:
- Simulated workplaces to practice professional skills: the Graphic Design ‘Mac labs’ reflect a functioning design studio environment with access to the latest equipment, software, scanners, tablets, video and sound technologies
- Work experience, including client interactions, commercial design briefs and industry work placements
- Collaborative learning
- Supervised study time with visiting industry specialists and practice feedback from industry professionals
- On-line learning and student engagement through e-Learn
- Excursions and field trips
Students will be assessed in the following ways:
- Participation in industry projects, complete assignments and projects
- Assessments may be based on competency, marks and grades, or a combination of all three
Pathways to Further Study
CIT’s credit transfer arrangements can reduce the time and fees required to complete a bachelor degree at university. If you successfully complete your CIT qualification and gain entry into the university below, you will receive the following:
University of Canberra (UC)
- Diploma of Graphic Design (CUA50720) = 24 credit points (1 year) towards UC’s Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication Design) (ARB203)
We advise you speak directly with your chosen university in relation to credit transfer, entry requirements and their application process.Diploma of Graphic Design= 2.0 years of study
1.5 years Advanced Diploma of Graphic Design
▼Optional degree pathway available