Fashion is an exciting area of study that combines art, design, technical skill and commerce. Turn your creative flair and passion for clothes into a career in the fashion industry. Teachers are all industry current, with national and international experience.
This two-year qualification, designed as an entry-level qualification into fashion design, will enable you to establish your own design label or continue onto a university degree in the industry. Learn in a simulated industry design room with industrial machinery and the latest software to design and produce customised fashion garments for your professional portfolio of work. Our textile area is using new technology to address sustainable and environmental practices for job of the future.
CIT has strong connections with local and national design labels, providing students with the opportunity to participate in unpaid work experience. This experience furthers their understanding of the fashion industry and maximises their chances of gaining employment after graduating. You will have the opportunity to participate in a red-carpet fashion event presenting your designs to the public.
Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Merchandising | MST50119
2021 Semester 1 (February)
2022 Semester 1 (February)
2020-2021: Semester 1 - $7,250 Semester 2 - $7,250
*Please note - Course fees are listed in $AUD and are based on a semester rate. Total course cost will vary depending on semester start date. Small fee increases may happen annually in line with CIT's fee pricing review. 2020 and 2021 fees subject to change.
- Year 12 Certificate (or equivalent)
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates your aptitude for design. A portfolio may be either:
- A collection of your own work from a range of activities and media types or
- A collection of design solutions that you have found while researching this area of design, showing you have an understanding and appreciation of design basics. Images should be accompanied by a paragraph explaining why you appreciate the image/design. These may include: drawing, photography, painting, printmaking or graphic design projects. You may also focus on an artist, architect or designer whose work you enjoy.
- An interview with the college may also be requested as part of the application process
Students over the age of 20 may be eligible for adult entry. Please refer to Entry Requirements for more information.
Students must meet one of the following English requirements:
- IELTS 6.0 (no band score less than 5.5)
- TOEFL iBT - 60
- PTE Academic - 50 (minimum of 36 in each band)
- Cambridge English test (C1 Advanced and B2 First) - 169
- Successful completion of CIT's English for Study and Life (Advanced)
Course Subjects - Diploma