Love architecture? This diploma will start you on your career as a building designer, architectural technician or CAD Specialist Technician. Our industry-expert teachers will teach you to develop the theoretical and practical skills to produce high quality work using industry software and meeting all Australian compliances. You'll develop skills and knowledge in construction materials, 3D modellling, interpreting building codes for residential and commercial building design projects, sustainable design and contract documentation.
On completion of the Diploma of Building Design, you can choose to specialise in residential projects, including new buildings, heritage restorations, additions or renovations; or undertake commercial and industrial projects such as factories, motels, offices, restaurants, retail or service outlets and warehouses.
While industry placement is not a course requirement, CIT’s connections to industry may provide opportunities for students to undertake unpaid work placements.
Diploma of Building Design | CPP50911
2021 Semester 1 (February)
2022 Semester 1 (February)
2020-2021: Semester 1 - $7,250 Semester 2 - $7,250
Material fees: $900 approx.
Equipment kit: $220 approx.
Printing costs: $10 approx. per week during each semester
*Please note - Course fees are listed in $AUD and are based on a semester rate. Total course cost will vary depending on semester start date. Small fee increases may happen annually in line with CIT's fee pricing review. 2020 and 2021 fees subject to change.
- Year 12 Certificate (or equivalent) or Adult Entry with relevant practical work or other professional experience
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates your aptitude for design. A portfolio may be either:
- A collection of your own work from a range of activities and media types or
- A collection of design solutions that you have found while researching this area of design, showing you have an understanding and appreciation of design basics. Images should be accompanied by a paragraph explaining why you appreciate the image/design. These may include: drawing, photography, painting, printmaking or graphic design projects. You may also focus on an artist, architect or designer whose work you enjoy.
Students over the age of 20 may be eligible for adult entry. Please refer to Entry Requirements for more information.
- IELTS 5.5 (no band score less than 5.0)
- TOEFL iBT - 46
- PTE Academic - 42 (minimum of 36 in each band)
- Cambridge English test (C1 Advanced and B2 First) - 162
- Successful completion of CIT's English for Study and Life (Upper Intermediate)
Course Subjects - Diploma