Student Visas

If you are an international student planning to study or currently studying at CIT then the following important information can help you to understand and comply with your Student Visa conditions.

Obtaining a Visa

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) is responsible for making decisions on student visa applications and administering the Student Visa Program

To obtain a visa you will need to identify the evidentiary requirements for your country – DIBP has a Document Checklist Tool (disclaimer) to find out the evidence you need to provide.

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000

Australia's reputation as a safe, progressive and dynamic place to study is maintained by providing quality education and consumer protection specifically developed for overseas students.

The Department of Education and Training is the government department  that regulates the education and training sector’s involvement with overseas students studying in Australia on student visas. This regulation is done through the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000.

The ESOS Act and associated legislation means there is a legal framework which governs the responsibility of CIT and other education providers to overseas students. It requires institutions offering courses to international students to meet nationally consistent standards in education quality, facilities and services. The Act ensures that international students receive the same standard of education as Australian students.

Visit the Australian Education International (AEI) website for more information or to download the Act

The National Code of Practice

The National Code of Practice 2017, established under the ESOS Act, is a national set of standards that ensures the protection of overseas students while studying in Australia.

To download the National Code 2017 visit

Also see Australian Qualifications within our website for more information about ESOS and quality assurance.

Student visa English language requirements

If you are required to provide the results of an English Language test in order to be eligible for an Australian student visa. More information on student visa English Language requirements can be found at

Click here for further information on English Language Courses provided by CIT.

Understanding your visa conditions

Every student visa has conditions attached to it.  It is the visa holder’s responsibility to understand and comply with all of the conditions of their visa.  These conditions are listed on your Visa label, or if you hold an E-Visa, you will need to refer to your approval letter/email that Immigration sent to you with the grant of your visa.

Most student visas require that:

  • you have been accepted into a recognised course of study
  • you are able to support yourself financially during your stay
  • you meet certain health requirements and have appropriate Overseas Health Cover (OSHC)

Common visa conditions include but are not exclusive to:

  • Must remain enrolled
  • Must maintain satisfactory attendance
  • Must maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Must maintain adequate Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your visa
  • Must not work more than 40 hours per fortnight (except when industry placement is registered as a part of your program)
  • Must notify your education provider of change of address within 7 days of any change

You must abide by the conditions of your student visa relating to fees, course performance, class commitment, work rights and good conduct and where applicable the course attendance requirement of 80% at CIT.

If you are identified to have not complied with these visa conditions, CIT is required to notify immigration authorities. This may result in cancellation of your student visa and you may be required to return to your own country. CIT will monitor your “Academic Performance and Attendance” in accordance with the CIT International Student Compliance with ESOS Act Policy. Under this policy CIT reserves the right to provide to the Australia Government your personal and contact details, course enrolment details and any changes and circumstances of any suspected breach of your student visa conditions.

The visa conditions include (but are not limited to) the following:

Subclass 570


Mandatory only where Student visa granted on or after 26 April 2008. Discretionary where Student visa granted before 26 April 2008.

You cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight* when your course is in session (other than work which has been registered as a part of the course).
Note: No work limits apply during recognised periods of vacation offered by your education provider.

You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia.

*A fortnight means any period of 14 days commencing on a Monday and ending at the end of the second following Sunday.


You must remain enrolled in a registered course (unless you are an AusAID/Defence student or secondary exchange student in which case you must maintain full-time enrolment in your course of study or training).

Note: A registered course is one that is on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

You must maintain satisfactory attendance in your course and course progress for each study period as required by your education provider.


You must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during your stay in Australia.

Note: Under policy, this means that you must maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
8516You must continue to satisfy the requirements for grant of your student visa. This means, for example, that your main course of study must continue to be a course in the education sector that matches your student visa, and that you must continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support your study and stay in Australia.

If you have not turned 18 you must maintain adequate arrangements for your accommodation, support and general welfare for the duration of your stay in Australia.

To maintain adequate arrangements for welfare you must stay in Australia with:

  • your parent or legal custodian, OR
  • a relative who has been nominated by your parents or custodians who is aged over 21 and is of good character, OR
  • accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements that have been approved by your education provider.
Note: You must not change those arrangements without the written approval of your education provider. If your welfare arrangements are approved by your education provider you must not travel to Australia until your welfare arrangements are due to commence.
8533You must notify your education provider of your residential address in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia. You must notify your education provider of any change in your residential address within 7 days of the change. You must notify your education provider of a change of education provider within 7 days of receiving the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment certificate or evidence of enrolment.
Subclass 570

English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
Students with this type of visa must maintain an 80% attendance.  Failure to do so will result in students being placed on a Performance contract and if attendance does not improve can result in the issuing of a Non-compliance against your student visa. The non-compliance could result in the cancellation of your student visa and a 3 year exclusion from Australia.

572Requirement and Responsibility
Students with this type of visa must meet an academic requirement of passing more than 50% of their units every semester.  Failure to do so will result in students being placed on an Intervention plan in the following semester.  Failure to pass more than 50% of units in a consecutive semester will result in the issuing of a non-compliance against your student visa.  The non-compliance could results in the cancelation of your student visa and a 3 year exclusion from Australia.
Work Rights

From 26 April 2008 permission to work was granted with the issuing of all student visas.

Student Visas have a work limitation of 40 hours per fortnight  during semester study times.

During semester/term breaks students are able to work additional hours. The International Services Unit can provide a letter for your employer that outlines when you can work more than 40 hours per fortnight. To request this letter please contact the International Services Unit.
Click here to find out more about Working in Canberra.

Breaching a visa condition may result in the cancellation of your visa.

Please note that the above is not the complete list. For more information or a full list of visa conditions, please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website:

Change of visa status

International students are required to inform the Institute of any changes to their visa status. International students who commenced their course on a Student Visa must notify the Institute immediately when they are granted a different visa.

Temporary residency

If you are granted a temporary visa (other than a Student Visa) after commencement of your course, you should forward a copy of your passport and visa to the International Services Unit.

Although temporary residency does not change your student status, your study entitlements may change.

Permanent residency

International students who are granted permanent residency must notify the International Services Unit.

CIT policies and procedures

It is important that students have a basic understanding of CIT policies and procedures. Visit Policies and Forms for further information.

Need advice about your International Student Visa?

If you require further information about the conditions of your international student visa or you are having difficulty meeting these conditions, make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor on your campus.

For further assistance please contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)

Counter hours: Monday – Friday: 9.00am-4.00pm
Phone (within Australia): 131 881