Overseas Health Cover

What is Overseas Student Health Cover?

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is intended to assist international students to meet the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia. A condition of the Student visa requires that students maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of their visa.

Note: You do not need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

Information taken from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
Hr Line

Where can I get OSHC? What level of cover do I need?

You can arrange to pay for your OSHC through Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT) or you can purchase OSHC online by visiting the OSHC providers’ websites. CIT arranges OSHC through OSHC Allianz Global Assistance.
Essentials Premium classifications

  • Single Cover – Covers only the valid student visa holder.
  • Dual Cover – Covers one valid student visa holder plus either one adult spouse or recognised de-facto partner or one or more dependent children.
  • Multi Family Cover – Covers one student visa holder plus more than one dependent which can only include one adult spouse or recognised de-facto partner and one or more dependent children.

Hr Line

What does OSHC cover?

Overseas student health cover (OSHC) is health insurance that provides cover for the costs of:

  • Out of hospital medical treatment
  • In hospital medical treatment
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Emergency ambulance assistance

For more detailed information regarding what OSHC may cover, please refer to the following link: https://allianzassistancehealth.com.au/en/student-visa-oshc/cover/
Hr Line

Why do I now need to show that I have OSHC for the duration of my Student visa?

The Australian government is concerned about the safety of international students in Australia and health care is one aspect of that safety.

If you or a family member need medical treatment and you do not have OSHC you must pay for all your medical bills without assistance. The potential cost of medical treatment in Australia may be high.
Hr Line

I am studying at more than one education provider and both providers are arranging OSHC. How can I make sure that I will be covered for the full duration of my visa?

If your insurance is arranged by more than one education provider you need to make sure that you have made arrangements so that when one policy expires the next policy starts immediately.

If you have more than one OSHC policy there cannot be a gap between the policies.

For education providers organising OSHC on behalf of a student who is enrolled in more than one course, a suggested approach is to have the policy cover the period up to the commencement of the next course.
Hr Line

How do I pay for my OSHC?

The method of payment is a matter between you and the OSHC provider, CIT is also able to arrange this for you. You may have one or more policies to cover your period of stay in Australia. Your policy or policies must cover the proposed duration of your visa.
Hr Line

Why will my Student visa only be valid for the same period as my OSHC policy?

Student visas will only be valid for the same period as your OSHC policy to ensure that you have OSHC for the entire period you are in Australia.

In the past some students have failed to renew their OSHC. When they have needed medical treatment the student has had to pay all the costs of that treatment.
Hr Line

What do I do if I have family members join me after I arrive in Australia?

Your family members will have to demonstrate that they have an OSHC policy for the duration of their visas.
Hr Line

What do I do if I have a child born while I am in Australia?

If you only have a Single OSHC policy you must change that to a Family policy to cover your child as well. If you already have a Family policy you should add your child’s details to the policy.
Hr Line

OSHC representatives on campus

A representative from OSHC Allianz, CIT’s preferred OSHC provider, is available to see international students to answer any questions they may have. Please see below for locations and times:

Where: Counter 9, Student Services, Block A, Constitution Avenue, Reid, ACT 2612
When: Every Tuesday
Times: 10:00am to 4:00pm

Where: Student Services, Ground floor Building H, 35 Vowels Crescent, Bruce, ACT 2617
When: Every Monday
Times: 10:00am to 4:00pm