Planning Your Arrival

Your ArrivalOnce you have correctly applied for a course and have been successfully accepted to study at CIT you will need to start planning your trip to Australia. Here are some step-by-step tips to help you get organised.

Booking your flights

The first thing that you will need to do is book your flight to Canberra (usually via Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth).

It is recommended that you arrive in Canberra at least one week before the International Orientation Day (which means you will be arriving two weeks before classes start) so you can familiarise yourself with Canberra. Your CIT course may either begin in early February or mid July (see your letter of offer for intake dates).

You should book your flights well ahead of your planned arrival date as February and July can be busy times of year and you may not get the flights you require.

Applying for accommodation

It is recommended that you apply for accommodation at least 5 months before you arrive (as soon as you receive your letter of offer). This gives you a greater chance of being offered a room at the residence of your choice.

You can still apply even if you are unsure of being offered a place at CIT.

If you would like to rent your own property it is easier to do this once you have arrived in Canberra. However you MUST ensure that you have arranged temporary accommodation before your arrival.

Planning your finances

The Australian Government estimates that the average living costs for an international student is $19,830 (AUD) per year. This pays for food, accommodation, telephone, gas, electricity, transport and entertainment.

However, international students are encouraged to undertake their own research into the cost of living in Australia, taking into consideration their own circumstances before making a decision on whether to study in Australia.

The Department of Home Affairs has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa. Below is a guide on the requirements you must meet to study in Australia:

  • student/guardian: AUD 19,830
  • partner/spouse: AUD 6,940
  • child: AUD 2,970

See Living Costs, Money and Banking for more information on planning your finances.

What to prepare and what to bring

Passport: Make sure that your passport is current and valid for the whole duration of your stay in Australia. Contact the appropriate people in your home country for any questions regarding your passport.

Student Visas: When you are applying for a student visa to come to Australia it can take some time to process so ensure that you are well prepared with the appropriate documents so that it limits the amount of time it takes to be approved. To help you have a better understanding on this you can find out more information on our website at Student Visas or from the Department of Home Affairs website

Request airport pick-up: A fee of $150.00* (AUD) applies if you would like to be collected from the airport on arrival in Canberra. See Airport Pick-up for more information.

Essential documents: CIT documents including Letter of Offer, copy of your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE), receipts of payment (for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and tuition fees), plus copies of previous academic transcripts (if applicable), a portfolio of your work (if applicable), and other personal information (drivers license, photo identification etc.)

Changing money to Australian currency: We recommend bringing some Australian currency with you (approximately $300 AUD) when coming to Australia for transport, food and emergency purposes. You can change money in your home country or at an Australian airport. See Living Costs, Money and Banking for more information.

Immunisation record: This can be useful to bring with you as some CIT programs may require this information (e.g. Animal Technology).

Prescriptions for medications: Australian pharmacists are permitted to fill only prescriptions written by Australian doctors. Your prescriptions may still be useful in determining your medical history. Medicines you may not need a prescription for in your home country may need to be prescribed by a doctor or other health professional in Australia. You may therefore need to cover the costs of a medical appointment to obtain a prescription, as well as the out-of-pocket costs of any medications that you might be prescribed. Visit for more information.

In Australia a 'drugstore' is called a 'chemist' or 'pharmacy.'

*Fees subject to change

Bringing your family with you to Australia

If you require information about whether you are eligible to bring your family with you to Australia then please visit the Department of Home Affairs website at

If you are intending to bring school-aged dependents with you, it is your responsibility to ensure that obligations for their schooling meet Australian regulations.  This will include the payment of school fees and any other associated costs for their studies. Further information about schools in Canberra.