International Student Orientation Day
Orientation is designed to welcome new students, to make sure you receive the guidance, encouragement and support you need to settle into Canberra and your studies at CIT.
This compulsory* one-day orientation is offered in February and July each year for international students who are about to commence study at CIT in a mainstream program.
What does the day include?
- Walk around the market stalls and talk to CIT services and Canberra community organisations. Ask them questions and collect information, handouts and free stuff!
- Meet CIT staff and other students in your course.
- Find out how you can enrol.
- Throughout the day, presenters will speak and provide you with information that is useful to you during your stay in Australia. You will learn about what student support services are available at CIT and in the Canberra community. See below for details.
Indigenous dance performance
- CIT welcomes you to Australia with a performance by a local Indigenous family dancing group. ‘The Wiradjuri Echoes’ group will entertain you with traditional Aboriginal dances and the amazing didgeridoo instrument.
- The Reptile Man and his staff bring along Australian reptiles such as tortoises, lizards, snakes and goannas. Go and say “Hi” to them and learn about our wonderful, varied wildlife here in Australia.
- An Aussie style free lunch and refreshments will be provided throughout orientation day.
Canberra bus tour (optional)
*Note: If you are enrolling to study a preparatory English program then you do not need to attend the orientation day in February or July until you are due to commence in your mainstream program. When you commence in your English program, you are provided with a mini orientation and information relevant to your studies by ISU and English Centre staff on the first day of your studies.
Who are the guest speakers?
Here are some of the organisations and services who participate in our orientation day. For more information you can go to their websites.
Canberra bus tour
See some of Canberra’s popular sights and attractions! This two-hour bus tour, run by the CIT International Services Unit (ISU) is a great introduction to Canberra.
Familiarise yourself with Canberra – you’ll visit many useful places AND meet other CIT international students!
“The bus tour is interesting, informative and a lot of fun!”
So join us on orientation day! Speak to an ISU staff member at orientation to sign up!
Bus tour destinations include:
- CIT Reid Campus
- CIT Bruce Campus
- Parliament House
- War Memorial
- Mount Ainslie Lookout
- Civic (Canberra City) Shopping Centre
- Civic Bus Interchange
- Civic Police Station
- Belconnen Shopping Centre